On 12 October 2010 04:21, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On 10/09/2010 02:23 PM, Scott Furry wrote:

This survey is to gauge the views of the LibreOffice community on the
install/update method of LibreOffice. Please voice your opinion so that
these considerations may be taken into account when the LibreOffice
method of install/update is studied by the developer team. Please
*bottom-post* your opinions.

How do you expect LibreOffice to be updated?

The following comments apply to Windows only and are things I'd like to see

1. A single installation program, probably a .msi file that the user
downloads and executes. There must be a clear instruction up front that the
user must install the software as an Administrator.

2. The installation process must automatically delete any and all temporary
files & folders it created.

3. The installation process must give the user the option of taking over
file associations for MS office files.

4. There must be clear rules/options defining whether a new release
overwrites an existing release or is installed in parallel.
If the user opts to overwrite an existing installation (or of a new version
automatically overwrites an older one) then the new software must properly
inherit everything possible from the old:
- templates
- user details
- extensions, especially dictionaries
- any and all preferences

The installation process must clearly inform the user, in detail, about any
item that is not inheritable. The information provided must clearly identify
the item in question, must state a user-oriented reason (no hex codes
please!) and, if possible, make suggestions as to where a newer version can
be obtained.

5. It must be possible for the user to run the installed software as a
limited (restricted) user.

6. It must be possible for the instalation to be for "this user" (the
installer), "all users" or named users.

7. There must be a properly documented procedure for "silent" installation
over a network so that company Admins can install the software for the
company's users.

8. I reserve the right to add to this list ;-)

9. A properly documented MD5 (or equivalent) checking procedure, with
pointers to a free MD5 checker. (I used my reserved right to add to my list
...)

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England