 On Oct 9, 2010, at 23:23 , Scott Furry wrote:
<...>
-----------------------

This survey is to gauge the views of the LibreOffice community on the install/update method of
LibreOffice. Please voice your opinion so that these considerations may be taken into account when
the LibreOffice method of install/update is studied by the developer team. Please *bottom-post*
your opinions.

How do you expect LibreOffice to be updated?
My point of view is from an admin for a mid sized company network that has different os types (windows, linux, mac), all of them in different versions (e.g win 2000 ... win 7) and different distros (gentoo ... suse). We have to manage this with minimum effort, maximum user availability and maximum possibility to decide, what we do.

I think, LibO checks for new updates in an adjustable time period.

It would be nice to avoid too much "update available" messages - where company users are not allowed to perform the update (no admin rights) so they call our staff. Too much common applications (Acrobat reader, Java, etc.) makes this noise every day.

Instead of noising the user I suggest to have a configuration option where the LibO systems sends me a mail informing me: Time to visit this computer!

The king class setup / update proc specially for company environments is a possibility to have a common script where I put standard settings. This helps to minimize the roll out of this application.

Incremental update would be nice, but its not a must have - if the package size didn't grow too much.

How do you Install/Update LibreOffice?

Windows and Linux users: Download the package to our internal software download server and installing the updates via remote access after users has finished work.

Installation is made during roll out of new workstations from the same source.

Mac: Download from webpage.

What do you expect when Installing/Updating LibreOffice?
The new version remembers all my settings, recent files and extensions. Notification during update if there is an extension or setting, which is not compatible.

Other programs have separate updating programs (iTunes being an example), if it was technically
feasible, would having a separate install program for LibreOffice (with updating features) be
useful to you?
It's not a simple task to check all these update programs available from the different application providers.

I think, external update programs will make it easier for the developers.

But please: No download plugins for IE / firefox like Adobe. This increases our maintenance effort.

Would having a download and update site, as well as a Unix|Linux package repository site, be of
value to you?
Yes! And together with this: It would be nice to have access to previous versions together with a small info, whats changed.

So long - Bernd