On Oct 9, 2010, at 23:23 , Scott Furry wrote:

<...>
-----------------------

This survey is to gauge the views of the LibreOffice community on the install/update method of
LibreOffice. Please voice your opinion so that these considerations may be taken into account
when the LibreOffice method of install/update is studied by the developer team. Please
*bottom-post* your opinions.

How do you expect LibreOffice to be updated?

Answering as a simple user, I'd like LibO to check for new updates, say, once a week by default,
adjustable for those who want to adjust it, and notify me when one is available and ask me whether
I want to d/l it.  Options: No, Yes, Ask me again in x days.

Whether it's incremental or total is unimportant to me.

How do you Install/Update LibreOffice?

Mac and Windows: Install by surfing to libreoffice.org and going to the download page (as I did
with OOo).  Update as above (also as per OOo).
Linux: it's usually included in the distro, but if it's not, I'd check the repository first, and in
second place surf to LibO.

What do you expect when Installing/Updating LibreOffice?

That the new version remembers all my settings, all my recent files, all my extensions.  That it
notifies me if any settings are changedm, or extensions don't work with this version, and offer to
check for an update to fix the problem.  That it preferably asks me if I want to get rid of
competing programs/versions, and if the answer is Yes, gets rid of them completely.

Other programs have separate updating programs (iTunes being an example), if it was technically
feasible, would having a separate install program for LibreOffice (with updating features) be
useful to you?

I'm always a little suspicious of what these programs do, but I'd make an exception for a LibO one,
since I trust you guys.  :)
Not especially useful for me, but if it makes life easier for you.

Would having a download and update site, as well as a Unix|Linux package repository site, be of
value to you?

Not to me personally, but would be useful for updates on my linux boxes.  Problem is the distro
versions are often a version or two out of date.  (This is a problem?)