On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 5:23 PM, Scott Furry <scott.wl.furry@gmail.com> wrote:
How do you expect LibreOffice to be updated?

For windows, it should check whether there is an update both when the
program starts up and at regular intervals, with an option to force a
check.  By default it should probably download the update to a
temporary directory in the background, then when the download is
complete notify the user it is ready to install.

If the user is not running one of the programs, it should give the
user the option to install the update, be notified in a certain period
of time, or install the update manually later.  If the user is running
one of the programs, it should offer to install then, wait until the
user closes the program, or install manually later.  If it installs
then, it should save their entire session and their open documents,
close the program, install the update, delete the temporary files,
start up the programs again, and restore the session.  If the user
chooses to install when they close the program, it should wait until
all the programs have closed, then begin the installation.

For Linux, I would just use the built-in package manager.  I use
openSUSE, which provides optional up-to-date versions of all OOo
programs (and LO eventually I assume).

How do you Install/Update LibreOffice?

For windows, I go to the go-oo website and download the latest
version, then I install it, then I delete the temporary files.

For Linux, I just use the package manager.

What do you expect when Installing/Updating LibreOffice?

For windows, I expect that it would simply ask my permission to do the
update, then the rest would be automatic.  It would not interfere with
my work more than asking, it would not leave anything unnecessary
behind.

On Linux, I expect it to work the same as the rest of the software I
use.  No more, no less.  I don't want it doing it's own thing, the
package management solutions I have available to me fit my needs
perfectly.  The last thing I want is a program trying to bypass this
by doing its own, independent updates.  I prefer having everything
centralized in one interface, and this is much safer and more
reliable.

Other programs have separate updating programs (iTunes being an example), if
it was technically feasible, would having a separate install program for
LibreOffice (with updating features) be useful to you?

For windows, yes.  Especially if it was able to handle the downloads
as well, so you just download a small installer and it automatically
retrieves what it needs from a server (or a list of mirrors).  This is
how Adobe does things with both flash and acrobat on windows.  It is a
bit annoying there because it requires installing stuff on your web
browser, but if it was a stand-alone program it would be perfect for
something like LO.

Would having a download and update site, as well as a Unix|Linux package
repository site, be of value to you?

A windows download and update site would be useful to me.  A linux one
would not, since as I said openSUSE does a great job of keeping
up-to-date versions of packages available.  It may be more useful to
users of other distributions.

-Todd