Le 2010-10-09 17:23, Scott Furry a écrit :
LibreOffice Community,

As suggested, this post is intended to get the opinion of the community
about how best to deliver LibreOffice to its users.

Given that LibreOffice is an important and viable alternative to
paid-for office productivity software, and we all feel strongly and
passionately about the direction of LibreOffice, input about the
community members' expectations/needs/users is needed.

 From what we have heard on this topic so far:

- Mac users have commented that they do not have an issue with the
current installer available on the Mac platform.

- Window users indicated that an update mechanism would be great. Some
commented that the current Windows installer leaves artifacts behind.
The Windows Installer does not detect/remove previous installations
properly.

- Linux users have discussed vast amounts opinions on packaging in
Linux. Some have questioned if distributing packages is a good thing.

-----------------------

This survey is to gauge the views of the LibreOffice community on the
install/update method of LibreOffice. Please voice your opinion so that
these considerations may be taken into account when the LibreOffice
method of install/update is studied by the developer team. Please
*bottom-post* your opinions.

How do you expect LibreOffice to be updated?

I would favour an incremental update for the suite rather than a full download.

How do you Install/Update LibreOffice?

In installed from the LibO "downloads" .rpm's. OpenOffice, through my distro's packaging system (Mandriva). I also, from time to time, downloaded the "most recent" version of OpenOffice from the OpenOffice.org site because I didn't want to wait for my distro's next update. Sometimes the packager would take too long, or they would offer the next upgraded version of OpenOffice at the next Mandriva distro upgrade.

What do you expect when Installing/Updating LibreOffice?

No residual files leftovers.

Other programs have separate updating programs (iTunes being an
example), if it was technically feasible, would having a separate
install program for LibreOffice (with updating features) be useful to you?

I would prefer this method. Incremental of course.

Would having a download and update site, as well as a Unix|Linux package
repository site, be of value to you?

I would prefer an official LibO repo that where I could point my package manager. I my linux distro wanted to rework the LibO suite for a more integrated look (theme), this could be at their option.

I this were possible, the various Linux distro's could be made aware of this and would just code their packaging systems (for users) to point to the LibO repo. There would have to be a way for LibO to find a way to "play nice" with dependencies so that it would not break the Linux distro installations.

Please note that I am not affiliated with DocumentFoundation. I am like
you, a community member who wants to see LibreOffice be very successful.

So let's hear what you think folks?

Regards,
Scott Furry

Marc