On 2010-11-11 7:08 PM, jonathon wrote:
- From my POV, the biggest failure is how OOo implemented it.

It attempts to demand the naive OOo user state precisely where,
when, what, and which components of OOo are affected by the
bug/feature/whatever. It also attempts to extract all of the
technical data about the bug/feature/whatever, from a user that
neither knows, nor cares about what a stack overflow is.

+10

[Disclaimer: I quit submitting bug reports and RFIs to issuezilla
for both OOo and Firefox/Thunderbird years ago, because they were
invariably closed with a "won't fix" or "won't implement" tag. The
usual reason being that so few people are affected, that it would not
be worth the developer cost to fix/implement. I]

? You seem to be lumping two totally different aspects of bug trackers
together as one.

Firefox and Thunderbirds bug tracker is not even remotely as difficult
as OOo's. While I agree with you that the Mozilla devs tend to close
Feature Requests with a WONTFIX (or they agree it would be a nice
feature, but it just stays open with no one giving it any love) too
often, they do address real bugs fairly quickly - and the reason they
tend to neglect feature requests is because they - especially the
Thunderbird devs - are very short-staffed.

First, we need to get rid of the non-meaningful term "issue" and
distinguish between bugs and requests for improvements.

What one person views as a bug, a developer can view as an RFE.

[Case in point: The bug reports I filed on Thunderbird, about its
inability to retrieve email, were treated as RFEs, purely because
they were not bugs, going by the then current email rerieval
specifications for Thunderbird.]

Bug#'s? Thunderbird has never had a problem 'retrieving' our mail in our
office, and we've been using it (40-60 users over the years) since about
version 0.8, so whatever your problem is/was, obviously it is/was
something fairly obscure.

What is needed is something that enables a user who has lots of data
to include it, but not make a user that has little or no data,
unwilling, or unable to submit a report.

Again, +10...

--

Best regards,

Charles