----- Original Message ----

From: Michael Meeks <michael.meeks@novell.com>
To: discuss@documentfoundation.org
Sent: Thu, November 11, 2010 4:34:16 PM
Subject: Re: [tdf-discuss] FreeDesktop Bugzilla

On Thu, 2010-11-11 at 10:29 -0500, Charles Marcus wrote:
'Masses of  users' will not know how to properly report bugs.

     Amen.

As I have advocated in the past (on this and the OOo list), I  would
suggest a two-tiered system - a simple bug reporting page for end  users,

    So - I suggest we create a wizard / web flow  for bugzilla that demands
lots of information: system details, exact  versions, warns against
filing bugs in truly old versions, and so on; so that  we get a lot of
the information we need in the 1st pass.

Please see how Gentoo handles this: http://bugs.gentoo.org/

Notice that anyone can search, and that there are two methods of entering bugs
(which do require login):

        * Enter a new bug report
        * Enter a new bug report (advanced)I haven't used the 'advanced' method, but
the normal method does present a series of questions for the user to help
collect the information right up front.
They also provide some entires that are marked "if you don't know where put it,
then put it here" - this occurs in several places in the process.
This is also quite helpful to the user, as it allows them to submit the bug and
then have someone more knowledgeable about the system review it and decide
how to modify the bug report to get it to the right team.

This keeps it quick'n easy for the user, while getting the bug to the right
folks. I was truly grateful for it on Gentoo's site when I submitted a
stabilization bug for an android related package since I didn't have to guess
who should get it; so instead of bouncing around 50 different people and
annoying most of them with e-mails, it went to a few people who then assigned to
the right people inside of one change to the bug.

Ben