Carlos Carvalho wrote on 2011-08-05 21:55:

You already have a significant number of mirrors across the world,
you're already big enough to establish tiering. Burdens of the
success :-) Postponing it will only make it worse, because you'll have
to piss off more and more mirrors.

yeah, there's indeed some truth behind this, I agree.

Also, if you're going to put a new machine *only* for external rsyncs
it doesn't need to be close to the rest; a reasonable link is enough,
because it'll only be used to put the new content there. Other distros
do it already.

Not entirely. I would like to have it close to the other machines, as we do backups from all our servers, and have some other joint services. If we have it at the same location, this greatly helps.

Finally, I offer our machine as rsync-stage. You could have an account
here and manage the content locally. It's *only* for distribution, not
for generating anything. We can withstand a big load and have
multi-gigabit connections with Europe and US, and even a good link
with current rsync-stage :-)

Thanks a lot, that is really kind! Give me a few days to look into the situation, maybe we even do both - multi-tiered setup plus, at the same time, a new machine. I'll ping everyone via this list. :)

Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108