Hi Johannes!

Am Samstag, den 13.11.2010, 10:05 +0100 schrieb Johannes Bausch:

[WinXP Crash Report Example]

better:
* ask the user once at the beginning if he wants to report crashes and
list the information THERE
* NEVER include things like the current program's memory page dump or
something alike
* then DO NOT ask again but just send it

alternative:
* pop-up which sais that a crash report can be sent if the user wishes, but:
* it only has a input field where the user can say for himself what
happened and when
* checkbox saying something like: "include relevant data", where
"data" really leads to ALL the data being sent

I mentioned it before, there is already a crash reporter that is
documented in a specification at [1]. It allows to view the sent
information and it allows people to add feedback - so the user is still
in control.

The current problem is that hardly anyone trusts these crash reports -
that's what I experience when talking to friends about that issue. So
we first have to make the user think that something is being done.
I've repeatedly used the "Firefox made me sad"-thing but I've never
used the crash report before.

We, the UX team, thought similar when Sun worked on the OpenOffice
Improvement Program - the underlying framework collects (non-content)
information during the usage of OpenOffice.org [2].

There has been a huge risk concerning credibility, trust, ... and it all
turned out to be wrong. There are some people who do not use this
feature - but many other people do. So even if some people deny that, it
might still be a great resource for information.

At the end, it is about being open - not only open-source ;-)

Cheers,
Christoph

[1]
http://specs.openoffice.org/appwide/errorreporter/error_report_2_0_ui_specification.odt