Le 2010-10-11 16:36, Jon Hamkins a écrit :
On 10/07/2010 04:16 AM, Jean Hollis Weber wrote:
If I have to explain to someone what "LibreOffice" means, it's easy:
"Libre means free, as in liberty or freedom."

If I have to explain what "OpenOffice.org" means, it's a much bigger
problem, even without the complication of the ".org" part. Most people
have never heard of "open source" or "open standards" or "open" anything
else.

This post just doesn't resonate with me at all. To explain what
LibreOffice means, first I have to explain what libre means, because it
isn't an English word. It's as easy to explain as any other foreign
word, I suppose, but that's not exactly a ringing endorsement.

On the other hand, I don't have to explain OpenOffice.org, because it's
already in the lexicon -- 300 million people have already downloaded it.
For those that haven't, they at least already know what "open" means,
and it's easy to explain how that relates to the software. Also, people
who know about "open source" instantly recognize from the name its
similarity to other open tools such as openssh, openldap, openvpn, etc.
-- in the same way that the prefix "gnu" indicates something about
gnuplot, gnucash, and gnupg.

A good chunk of the posts on this mailing list, and in comments to
stories on TDF announcement, are about the choice of the name, how to
pronounce it, etc. Slashdot comments were particularly harsh, and fairly
universal, in their dislike for the name:

http://developers.slashdot.org/story/10/09/28/143204/OpenOfficeorg-Declares-Independence-From-Oracle-Becomes-LibreOffice

http://developers.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1801996&cid=33722340
http://developers.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1801996&cid=33725276

I'm not going to let my disappointment in the name damper my enthusiasm
of the project, which is strong. I'm talking up the project to friends
and family, even. Others are in the same boat. This shouldn't be
confused with *liking* the name.

----Jon

Hi Jon:

Unfortunately, we do not have the statistical data for this. If we did have statistical data telling us the number of downloads based on languages and country destination, it would then be easier to make the statement that explaining the word "Libre" is more difficult to explain than "Open" if the majority of downloads were for English speaking users. If for example, the majority of downloads were done for latin-based lanuguages, then the word "Libre" is of no consequence and perhaps better representative of the suite than the word "Open" -- the word "Open" in this case would be more difficult to explain than the word "Libre".

So, without any statistical data to base it on, it is most likely not correct to make sweeping statements that "Libre" is difficult to pronounce and explain and the reverse is also true, that "Open" is difficult to pronounce and explain.

It is obvious that the pronunciation/explanation issues may be difficult for some languages whereas easy for others.

You can view listings of the "most popular spoken languages spoken on earth" at sites just as this (http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/most_spoken_languages.htm). * Note --- chart statistics on different sites may vary a little bit, but the overall ranking is similar. The bottom line is that there are just more non-English speaking countries in the world and I don't really know of these, how many the word "Libre" would easily understood. Latin based languages, again, "Libre" is clearly well understood.

My personal opinion is that "Libre" is more representative of the understanding behind the "LibreOffice" philosophy, but that "OpenOffice" at this point does have the marketing advantage of the brand.

Marc