From my perspective, there are two major OpenOffice.org forums, and if you
ask me, right now, neither are very good alternatives.

The first is http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum. While it is a
community forum, it was set up back in 2007 on (then) Sun servers, which are
currently controlled by Oracle. Considering last week's announcement from
Oracle about turning OpenOffice.org over to the community, you have to
wonder how long Oracle will allow that forum to be hosted on their servers,
and if it gets booted off, where will it go?

The second is http://www.oooforum.org. The person who set it up wanted to
help support OpenOffice.org, but unfortunately, he has been largely absent
for years. It was dissatisfaction with the running of this forum that led
many moderators and users to fork and set up the previously mentioned forum.
The OOoForum is getting slammed with spam, and the software running the site
hasn't been updated in years (not since well before the 2007 split), not to
mention the fact that the userbase is not what it once was.

But I do believe that forums are generally easier for users than mailing
lists, but right now, I can't really recommend either of these alternatives.

Jason Corfman
computers@corfyscorner.com - www.corfyscorner.com
           Take back the Internet!
www.getfirefox.com and www.getthunderbird.com