On Nov 21, 2010, at 22:31 , jonathon wrote:

On 11/21/2010 09:15 PM, James Wilde wrote:

...and?  Is LibO going to upgrade the version number every time OOo
does?  And only then?

Unless there is a "compatibility tag" for extensions, the way that there
is for firefox, LibO is stuck with the version numbering that OOo uses,
if it wants to retain compatibility with those extensions.

Well, I appreciate that it would mean two sets of numbers for extensions,
but I can imagine that, in a not too distant future, OOo and LibO are going
to grow apart, possibly sufficiently that an extension for the one will
not work with the other.  Why not accept that from day 1?

//James

I'm willing to accept that extensions wont work in future if OO and LO grow apart, but I think this
shouldn't be done artificially by changing the version number. It could be bad for OO users that
want to use LO, but miss some extensions because they are no longer compatible because the version
number of LO differs.

Whenever there is a release with a changes for version 4.x.x I accept incompatibilities.

not to you James:
Most people don't take version numbers serious anymore. Look at Chrome for example. The rapid
change of major versions is ridiculous.

LO is not build from scratch, so for me it can stick to 3.x.x and move onward.

Regards,
bastik
--
GRATIS! Movie-FLAT mit über 300 Videos.