 On 10/18/2010 1:24 AM, James Wilde wrote:
On Oct 17, 2010, at 19:54 , Charles Marcus wrote:

<...>

I do know that the users/discuss lists volume is way too heavy for an
'average user' to get any benefit from. For example, since checking my
email last on Friday evening, there have been 150+ new messages to this
list... this would simply terrify anyone who subbed for a simple answer
to a simple question.
I agree.  It terrifies me!  OTOH people looking for a simple answer to a simple question shouldn't
be in discuss but in users.  At the moment users gets about 5 messages a day - more later, of
course - but over on OOo, one gets a heavy day with maybe 30 messages and some days with just a
couple.  I don't think OOo users list is too heavy for a normal user.

That depends partly on how often they look at and clear their mail. We've certainly gotten plenty of messages on the users list about getting overloaded with traffic. Are these "normal users"? I'm not sure there really is such a critter!

However, I like the idea of separate lists for separate parts, writer, calc, etc.

Probably worth looking into, but see my earlier response.

And finally, are we going over to the wiki as (I think) Jean suggested?

Yes, Jean suggested it and I think it's a great idea -- but she's too swamped to do it, so I've embarked on an exercise to learn about wiki development and management. Not the simplest of subjects, so it will take me a while -- unless somebody else who is following this has the necessary skill and time?

//James