 On 10/18/2010 1:16 AM, James Wilde wrote:
On Oct 16, 2010, at 00:50 , Barbara Duprey wrote:

<...>
It is often not clear whether or not the OP is subscribed -- many can't/won't look at the full headers or
filter on them, and sometimes they join the discussion later, when the header is not available. For somebody
who really has an interest in the "care and feeding" of currently unsubscribed users, so they can
eventually be brought into the community, or at least be happy with the software, this means that the OP may
well be dissatisfied. They don't get answers, and assume we don't care.

An additional complication here is that, as far as I have been able to see by going through the
headers of messages I have approved, there is no easy way to see that these headers have been
moderated as there is on the OOo list.  Almost the only thing I see is that my email address,
albeit a little garbled, is included with a reference to the envelope (I don't remember the exact
wording, and don't have an example in front of me, so I can't be more specific.)   there is no easy
filter to apply.  Presumably the result of us using a different list mailer from the OOo one.

Does this mean you're a (the?) moderator for this list? Not having that Delivered-To header definitely does complicate things! I'm amazed that anybody is posting here unsubscribed at this point, I'd expect the early users here to have more awareness of the value of subscribing.

 From this point of view it would be better if the unsubscribed OP's address were added to the
reply-to line, but I can't see that the moderator can do this, since (s)he merely clicks on a link.
 Plus I, at least, have started sending a mail to the OP of messages I moderate, suggesting that
they subscribe.  I assume other mods do this, too.

Even if the Reply=To were modified, wouldn't the inclusion of the OP on the messages fall apart as soon as somebody didn't use Reply All? I, for one, would have to be seriously retrained! I still feel that the most profitable approach is referring the OP to an archive with Reply capability, but this is a subject for more discussion elsewhere. Until/unless we get a wiki up, feel free to use my e-mail; I'll try to include everybody who lets me know they're interested.

//James