On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 19:26:21 +0200
Christoph Noack <christoph.noack@documentfoundation.org> wrote:

Hi Klaus,

please don't mind that I respond to your mail ;-)

Am Donnerstag, den 07.10.2010, 18:42 +0200 schrieb Klaus Doblmann:
Ordinary people have just
started to recognise the "brand" OpenOffice, it might take them years
to adapt to a new name.

Some minor correction - either "OpenOffice.org", or "Open Office". Here
we see the difficulties with brands in general. So at the moment we do
have two different brands (but similar naming), and an ".org" that gets
omitted most of the time.

Hi Christoph,

I was referring to it as "OpenOffice" because that's what ordinary
people on the street call it. That's also why I wouldn't call
Libreoffice Libreoffice.org as it might create confusion and saying
"dot org" or "Punkt org" is something most people won't do and don't
want to do because it's - for most - not clear to pronounce.

To me, it depends on us - the community - to communicate that new brand.
May it be the press, trade fairs or even personal contact with our
friends (you know, most of the people using OOo get it recommended by
friends or colleagues).

Definitely! I've already switched a few people over - that's how it's
done. But it'll be difficult to get - especially the mainstream- media
behind the new concept (and "abandon" OOo more or less) but that
will also be the effort of us as a community. Im currently studying to
get my master's degree in "media and communications" (in the Bavarian
city Passau) so that would definitely be a field where I could/would
help out - if, as you said, there's no way to continue using the name
OOo.

cheers,
Klaus

--