On Tue, 2011-09-20 at 17:48 +0200, Florian Effenberger wrote:
Hi,

drew wrote on 2011-09-20 16:46:

Just on this last point - to clarify - I would be in favor of links to
the FrODev.org website from pages on any of the TDF/LibreOffice
websites. I would be in favor of a button (mechanism) on the FrODev.org
websites for donations specifically for FrODev and exclusive from TDF.

FrODeV indeed mentions the TDF account on their donations page:
http://www.frodev.org/spenden (at the bottom)

I would not be in favor of placing those donate buttons on
TDF/LibreOffice web pages directly.

Why?

Hi,

I'll pass on answering why, directly, for a moment.

Just now I've finished listening to the latest SC meeting recording and
the discussion regarding this point.

First, I'm afraid my words are coming across more sternly then they were
intended. I am in no way desires to see FrODev suffer as a result of
their good works.

back to the subject: FrODev is about to be broke, unless we help funnel
some of the donation activity to the FrODev account. [which is how I
hear it]

so - my opinion would now be.

Following perhaps, but changing slightly the comment from Micheal
regarding two buttons on the German specific pages, I would be in favor
of changing the German download page (and others TBD) such that the user
could specify a percentage of the donation go to FrODev. (50/50 sounds
good) I would recommend to make this quite obvious (ask the Designers in
here IMO) and so design it with the clear goal of getting as many of the
users as possible to select it.

Following a comment from Florian in the SC meeting, to paraphrase: 'to
at least do so till the discussions about how to integrate with NGOs
overall takes place in Paris' - I would not be against doing this across
the site in general, so English download page would be fine with me

- then whatever text is used to explain the purpose of giving funds to
FrODev that it simply states this is a special case situation with a
known period of time. (A cut of date) Yes it still sets a precedence,
however yes FrODev is a special organization with respect to TDF at this
time.

- this all would seem to fit well along with the other good point
brought out in the meeting regarding archiving of the challenge page,
with creation of a replacement for ongoing use.

To be clear though - in general I do not think having direct donation
requests on LibreOffice pages for external organizations is wise, though
I do think TDF/LibreOffice pages should include links to external
organization websites where appropriate ( and IMO should be fairly
liberal in defining appropriate )

Best wishes,

//drew

final thought, if the SC did decide to do this across the site (or in
English at least) I would recommend someone put together a very nice
English page on the FrODev site covering who/what the association does,
and as part of the 'text' on the download pages add a link to this new
page. (not saying your current pages are not nice already..*smille*)

<smip>