On Tue, 2011-09-20 at 15:19 +0200, Florian Effenberger wrote:
Hi Drew,

Disclaimer: I am wearing a double hat here, since I am in the board of
directors at FrODeV, so I have to consider both sides (TDF and FrODeV).

I think most people already knew that.

drew wrote on 2011-09-20 14:51:

My understanding was that FrODev.org was accepting donations that could
be earmarked for TDF - if it has turned out that 100$ of said donations
were so earmarked, well that is hard on FrODev.org sure - the
association (FrODev.org) should address that internally.

legally, all money is donated to FrODeV, because it is the legal entity
capable of accepting donations. SPI is another entity collecting
donations for TDF.

Since donations are legally bound to certain reasons, FrODeV has set-up
a separate account "for TDF". Quotation marks, because at the moment,
TDF = FrODeV in legal terms, so both accounts belong to FrODeV. However,
two accounts make it easier to track the donations for one specific
reason, as we are legally bound.

The problem is: Nearly 100% of the donations FrODeV as legal entity
received in the last months are for "the TDF". That means, that for
other activities of FrODeV, like their own web site, event
participation, production of merchandise and the like.

If FrODev.org is still paying bills for TDF our of the FrODev.org
working accounts I would ask Why and suggest they stop.

You'd better not ask this question, since otherwise, they may indeed
stop. ;-)

This is important in my mind - TDF becoming a legal entity is, I hear,
getting close... so are you saying that it is not in shape to stand on
it's own feet, financially, at this point?

This doesn't solve the problem. The money needs to belong to one entity,
someone needs to register domains and trademarks etc., and this entity
currently is FrODeV. TDF cannot stand on its own feet as long as it is
no legal entity.

So, if you ask FrODeV to stop, that means that *ALL* activities would
need to be shut down *IMMEDIATELY*, until another organisation taking
care 1. of donations/handling money and 2. acting as interim legal
entity is found.

Uh - no - what I said was - Pay the TDF bills from the TDF account and
stop paying TDF bills from the FrODev specific (normal) account. Why
else was there a separate TDF account created, if not to use it just
this way?

Is FrODev.org to continue some financial role after TDF is legal?

There are no fixed plans yet. FrODeV and TDF will be to separate
entities and each has to find their positioning. Sure, FrODeV might
donate to TDF and vice-versa, but this is a topic for the future.

OK I was imprecise in that question.

I would assume (note that word) that the first order of business for the
BOD after TDF becomes legal would be to take control of all TDF
financial matters, and that at this point FrODev (and it's members)
would cease to have any official role with TDF accounting.

Am I mistaken to assume this?

Best wishes,

//drew