drew wrote on 2011-09-20 16:46:

Just on this last point - to clarify - I would be in favor of links to
the FrODev.org website from pages on any of the TDF/LibreOffice
websites. I would be in favor of a button (mechanism) on the FrODev.org
websites for donations specifically for FrODev and exclusive from TDF.

FrODeV indeed mentions the TDF account on their donations page: http://www.frodev.org/spenden (at the bottom)

I would not be in favor of placing those donate buttons on
TDF/LibreOffice web pages directly.

Why?

I must say that I am a bit concerned that there seems to be a severe lack of understanding about FrODeV's role. FrODeV initially jumped in because no other entity was available to act as interim legal entity, manage finances and hold assets like domain names and trademarks. We tried that with a few entities, but it was impossible. So, FrODeV was available and supported without any bureaucracy.

I am not saying FrODeV should be treated special beacuse of this, or people have to be very thankful and thus generous with FrODeV's requests. What I am saying is that due to the fact that FrODeV offered their support, they now are in a rather complicated situation with regards to donations. Of course, nobody could foresee that, and of course, the time it takes for the legal entity to be set-up also contributes to that.

However, all other nonprofits have it easier, and FrODeV is only in the situation because it offered help. What I would indeed expect is people not letting FrODeV suffer, so to say, for their support, but rather work on a solution.

Wearing my FrODeV hat, being responsible for the interest of it and its members, I can only support the idea of helping TDF as long as FrODeV does not severely suffer from that - and right now, I want to find solutions to stop that suffering.

I would not be in favor of handing out literature with LibreOffice
branding that asked for FrODeve specific donations.

When FrODeV was the publisher, accountant, bank and legal entity behind all of that, and runs out of money because of the publishing entity it set up, things are rather different...

Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108