-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Von: drew <drew@baseanswers.com>
An: discuss@documentfoundation.org
Betreff: Re: [tdf-discuss] donation button on German download page

I know the topic about local NGOs is still to be discussed,

I think we should keep in mind, that other NGOs might have the same
problems and requirements - without this, some of the (my) answers
would hardly have any sense ...

My understanding was that FrODev.org was accepting donations that could
be earmarked for TDF - if it has turned out that 100$ of said donations
were so earmarked, well that is hard on FrODev.org sure - the
association (FrODev.org) should address that internally.

The quite simple rule for FroDev is, that the money gets spent for the
purpose that is mentioned in the donation (as long as it is in line
with general FroDev mission).
If we would "adress that internally" what should we do about it? Take x%
of the donations for FrODev? Besides the fact that this would 8likely) be
illegal in German law I would not go for that, as the money rally should
be used for TDF if it was intended for TDF.

If FrODev.org is still paying bills for TDF our of the FrODev.org
working accounts I would ask Why and suggest they stop.

FrODev is paying TDF bills from the money that was donated to support TDF.
All this money is tracked and accounted separately.

Apart from that FrODev is still sponsoring several activities within Germany
(e.g. QA weekend, people's participation in local events, local marketing
materials ...). While these activities support LibreOffice (and as such
TDF) these are local activities - and would hardly get any priority
for TDF as a global foundation.

This is important in my mind - TDF becoming a legal entity is, I hear,
getting close... so are you saying that it is not in shape to stand on
it's own feet, financially, at this point?

Is FrODev.org to continue some financial role after TDF is legal?

Of course it will - it will still support local activities, just as
other NGOs will do.

This should at least be an interim solution until we worked out a
concept for local NGOs.

Well - I'd propose the solution as a general one for other NGOs.
The problem is of course to define a certain level of collaboration
between local NGOs and TDF.

Among other concerns (which I've edited out of this email), I am worried
about the precedent this sets.

I don't get the message here. Do you mean that once we allowed this
for FrODev, we will face lots of NGOs requesting donation links at the
local download pages?

If yes - I'd suggest to make the current link an exclusive one (given the
fact, FrODev actually is not just the "TDF bank account" FroDev members
also do the accounting, prepared lots of paperwork, FroDev is supposed to
be the actual founding entity and FroDev is going to donate 10% of the
foundation's captial stock - in addition to the donations that have been
received for TDF).
This decision should be taken under obligation (for TDF SC) to work on
general rules how to define collaboration with local NGOs and entities.

It seems to me that there are numerous places in the current website
where a link to the FrODev.org website could be integrated and I would
be all for that - but the actual pitch for a donation, for FrODev.org,
should IMO be at that site.

Again - seems to be my lack of English language - I don't get if you
after all agree to have the link at the donation page, or that (althoug you have concerns) you
would agree, that the German download page would be
the correct place to go?

Thanks and regards,

André