On Jun 13, 2011, at 12:17 PM, David Nelson wrote:

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 22:18, BRM <bm_witness@yahoo.com> wrote:
I was making the observation that TDF's website & materials make little mention
of the fact that FroDeV is involved.
Therefore, to help reduce the comments by those that _do_ make that claim it
would be beneficial for TDF to update its website to make reference to the
existing legal status in the normal fashion of listing FroDeV and TDFs relation
with it in the little section where the copyright/trademarks/etc are all
mentioned on every page on the TDF website.

It's my feeling that people who have been following and contributing
to the project are pretty well aware of which organization is handling
the founding.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I think BRM's point wasn't
directed towards those who know, but rather instead the
large percentage of people out there who don't. There was,
and still is, the perception that TDF is an official, fully-
setup, self-controlled and self-existing foundation (similar
to what the ASF is). That perception was "beneficial" during
all the discussion and debate since it implied that, as
far as legal-status was concerned, TDF == The ASF and so
the discussion was able to be distilled down to copyleft
vs non-copyleft FOSS (as far as which foundation was "better"
for OOo)...

I am sure that someone on this list will see the above as
some sort of slam against TDF, but it's simply my interpretation
of what BRM was trying to say.