On 03/09/2011 02:07 AM, Florian Effenberger wrote:
Hello,

Mailman has not been chosen mainly out of two reasons:

1. Moderation via e-mail is not comfortable. It especially requires one
password shared among all moderators, which is inconvenient.

2. Although virtual domains are supported, the list name can only exist
once per Mailman installation. That means, discuss@de.libreoffice.org
and discuss@it.libreoffice.org could not exist. It rather would have to
be de-discuss@de.libreoffice.org and it-discuss@it.libreoffice.org. In
addition, managing virtual domain names is a bit more complicated in
Mailman compared to mlmmj.

No idea & no real preference other than the ablity for the user to login
and modify their profile settings & subscribe/unsubscribe. That said I
find it hard to believe that you couldn't have mailman accounts for each
list. Ubuntu have many:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/

all of which are mailmain based. Sample:
etc.

I agree that Mailman provides a lot of other great features that would
come in handy and would have saved us a lot of time, but the above two
limitations are real tough to deal with.

Then my recommendation is to find something else, as the inability of
the user to manager their list settings is a problem.

I also agree that mlmmj has some drawbacks, but basically, it does it
job very well.

It doesn't if it doesn't allow the user to modify their mail list
preferences & settings, and/or unsubscribe/subscribe without jumping
through hoops.

To my understanding, many complaints would have either
occured with other lists as well -- like some people want attachments,
others don't, the next ones love forums, others don't -- and other
things are not bugs in mlmmj itself.

None of my comments regard attachments & I think that you are being a
bit obtuse & silly here.

For some configurations, Google
Mail seems to omit the "+" in the addresses, however, the + is supported
by RFC, so it's clearly a bug at Google that affects us. Other people
complained about not being able to receive e-mail -- most of the time,
it has been a few French providers blocking the mails without any
reason, and, again, in violation of the RFC, not even answering to
e-mails when the postmaster is mailed. Features like "mark moderated
messages" are really desirable, but they are not supported by any other
mailing list system, IIRC, so we would have to implement that ourselves
anyways.

And that is relevent to my questions how?

And, what I also see, people simply cannot read. They send email to the
help alias, but do not understand what to do. That would have occured
with Mailman as well, and I guess people would have even be more
confused by the web interface and the password they need.

Perhaps it is because by the time the reach point of unsubscribing to
the list(s) that they don't want to read? Don't know, but if the
unsubscribe/subscribe information were posted on the website mail list
area maybe they could instead be referred to that instead of some
special email?

There are a few drawbacks that will be solved with a newer mlmmj release
we plan to roll out soon, like the cut-off moderation messages.

How about tagging moderated messages so that subscribed users know that
the post is from a unsubscribed poster and has been forwarded by a
moderator? It's rather simple: just as a [Moderated] tag to the subject
of the message.

We also plan to provide an administrative interface, where list owners
can edit some settings and (un)subscribe people. I agree that a lack of
this is really ugly. However, it needs time and resources, so if anyone
volunteers to code, let us know. :-)