Hi *,

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 4:05 AM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
[...]
I'm not versed on mailman, so I don't know the answer. However, the
current issue of mail list subscribers not being able to
subscribe/unsubscribe/modify user settings/etc in mlmmj as they can in
mailman is an issue. And it will likely be more of an issue as the
number of subscribers to the list(s) grow.

No. It is always people too ignorant about the mails they get. Instead
of actually reading, the skip that part and "assume" they know
everything already.

1. Why are unsubscribed posts even allowed? It would seem that folks
would have learned from the OOo list history.

Excuse me? What is wrong with allowing non-subscribers messages? And
what would you have learned from "OOo list history"?

After all it is a setting whether there is a moderator or not. And
even then the moderator has the choice whether to approve the message
or not. When the moderator doesn't approve it, it is not allowed.
And subscribers-only lists are of course possible.

2. Why are multiple moderators necessary?

Again: "Excuse me‽" It is not necessary to have multiple moderators.

If it's to get some poor soul
to sort & reject spam, then there are automated tools to do that instead.

No. It is not just rejecting spam. It is allowing non-subscribers to
post. That's completely different.

3. Why are we getting posts on the user & other lists using
Mlmmj — Mailing List Management Made Joyful:
http://mlmmj.org/
that the user can't unsubscribe, or can't set nomail?

Because they are stupid and don't follow instructions. Yes, that's
mostly the case.

4. Why is it necesary to send an email for unsubscribe instructions?

Because of 3, because there are digest and non-digest subscriptions,
there are "I'm subscribed, but I don't want to get mail"
subscriptions. You cannot put links for all of those into the footer.

====
When I subscribed I received the following:

From: discuss+help@documentfoundation.org
[...]
To unsubscribe send a message to:

So here you got your answer why people are "unable" to unsubscribe,
they are just not reading the mails they get, they don't follow the
instructions.

And you mentioned that one could have learned from OOo lists:
Ha, that is a good one. The OOo lists have explicit unsubscribe
instructions in *every* footer, but still people complain about not
knowing to unsubscribe. So having that in the footer will not help *at
all*

ciao
Christian