On Mon, 2011-01-10 at 19:56 +0300, sophie wrote:
Hi Drew,
On 10/01/2011 19:41, drew wrote:
[...]

Slightly off topic but it is part of this issue: As to the question of a
single monolithic view of the project, all things LibreOffice will be at
one domain, this is a basic assumption that I an not willing to adhere
to.

There is great value in a networked view, I am not advocating a lack of
concern for the trademark, that will be from time to time necessary and
is part of our responsibilities, but I am most vigorously arguing
against a view that all things should flow into a single point, rather
that we build an organization that flows outwards, we support the
efforts and initiatives of others that make use of this Free Open Source
application we build.
I think there is a different view also coming from the native language
groups because I think of the lack of 'marketing the community' we have
met in the past.
The forum is a great support and resource for users, but we also have to
think on how to get new members contributing to the project.
 From our experience in the FR community,  but I think it's also true
for other languages, the forum didn't help us here.

Hi Sophie,

Just looking at one issues here (in this email):

1) There is the very real need to keep a steady influx of new blood into
the project - this in the end is our capital. Here the only real way I
see to address that from the perspective of a web forum is to host an
official forum, in this setting there are mechanisms which can be built
to aid in nurturing new contributors, but also in leveraging the
knowledgebase that will form, for delivery to other users looking for
support.

2) In an environment of multiple sites being run by multiple groups or
individuals it is still possible to leverage both the knowledge and the
resources using current web technologies.

I agree that there was not enough effort in the past on this within the
OO.o web forums, mostly though I feel that was a due to the fact that in
the beginning and for whatever reason the main project would not support
an official site and so ONLY third party sites sprang up, any way that
is how I perceived it. If that is the pattern again then again I don't
see how we will be able to address this particular need - or at best it
will be much more difficult.

Thanks

Drew