I see several issues in the discussion about installers - and I only
just joined the list! Let's list 'em...

1. You are assuming everyone will be running Linux. They won't.
2. You assume they all have a packaged Linux distro. They won't.
3. You presume they can all grab tar's themselves. They can't.
4. You assume they will all download the package. They won't.

Installers are needed because (1) you can adapt an installer to manage
installation on all the systems people *will* be using, such as
Windows XP, Vista, Win7 and - for some - either 32-bit or 64-bit
versions; Linux using Debian-based or other installers and (2) those
who have no standard installer system included; Android users and even
Apple users (3) who want something that installs like an app does;
even, despite the undoubted acrimony, Solaris users.

Finally (4), there will be those users who buy a preconfigured or even
standard virtualised system from a supplier and want both the supplier
provided system and the discs to fix any problems - and for that you
want a packaged product with installer and repair system to put on disc.

While an installer may not be the top priority, it is undoubtedly a
very important feature that needs to be present to reach the widest
number of users.

Mark