On fim  2.des 2010 15:58, skrifaði Marc Paré:
-----

Ah .. I am just looking at the language packs for linux distributions.
Could anyone on the list explain how users install language packs on LO
(I'm using the .rpm version as reference point here). It looks like they
come in a ".tar.gz" file and when uncompressed a folder is created with
a lot of .rpm files. There doesn't seem to be an installer that comes
along with them and the user is left to use console to install. It this
right?

----

So, if this is the case, we would then have to a common installer where
the user would identify the language pack(s) needed. It doesn't look
like the language pack installers would be a good place as the language
installation methods are different from one OS to the other.

Does this make sense?

Well, that depends on what you define as an 'user'.

'Normal Linux users' (as of today = *buntu/Mint etc) use their respective package managers to set up software.

Developers should be capable to pull their nightly dose directly from git, the users in question (which are likely to install LibreOffice from those packages) are either adventurous or participating as translators/QA or such.

Even for translation/QA/testing users, offering repositories could be an easier way to go and probably less resource-hogging. Of course it would be easiest if there was one metapackage/script for installing the repo and the chosen language packs. OpenSuse has an 'One Click Install' system on their web, which is just a simple script witch initiates the PM with information about the repository in question.

Centralised PM's have become the 'Linux-way', picking up packages in various places on the web is so 'passé'... ;-)

Just thoughts,

Sveinn í Felli