On 11/26/2010 12:16 PM, Robert Derman wrote:
Marc Paré wrote:
Of these two options, I would prefer being offered the menu AFTER
having downloaded the LO suite. The reason for this: some users may
find that downloading the suite took a longer than the anticipated
time and they would not have enough time/patience to download the
additional items.On the other hand, if the LO suite had taken less
anticipated time to download, the user may feel it right to download
the extra items.
Marc
Here I really must disagree, I think pretty much everyone knows what
sort of internet connection they have, and therefore if the downloadable
packages are plainly labeled as to size in megabytes, (which they
certainly should be) then they would know what sort of download time is
involved.  The only real variable here being if the download server is
overloaded, and if you watch your download speeds you will know if that
is the case.

This is not targeted at Robert, but to all suggesting that bundled
documentation downloads be considered. Keep in mind that one of the
targets for OOo/LO et al is locations/countries/users that cannot, or do
not, wish to pay for MS Office. Many of those are still on dialup (even
in the USA).

Try this; set your download manager to dialup speeds and go here:
http://www.documentfoundation.org/download/
Now click on the Windows download. Let us know when you are finished...
If you are on linux and have broadband, just use wget or (easier) gwget
with the appropriate bandwidth limit settings.

<http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/testing/3.3.0-beta3/win/x86/>
LibO_3.3.0_Win_x86_install_multi.exe    16-Nov-2010 11:08       300M    Details

Now add to that documentation...

Don't cheat; set your download manager to dialup speeds - 56Kbps is OK :-)