On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 12:10 PM, leif <leiflodahl@gmail.com> wrote:
Den 30-11-2010 11:43, plino skrev:
The point here is that OOo has a small installer with 140Mb (no Java, and
only English, Spanish and French dictionaries).
Why is LO going in the opposite direction with 299 and 466Mb???
Agree. This is a problem

I think that an English only version of LibreOffice and then separate
Language Packs (10-40Mb) which include the translation for the interface and
dictionaries, spelling, etc is the best option.

No no no no no no!

If you think all people on this planet are native English speaking you
are wrong. Please. We have discussed this so many times that I don't
believe we still are.

English installer + native lang-pack is a no-go!

Nobody said that everyone is native English speaking. I promise you
that you speak English orders of magnitude better than I speak
whatever your native language is. The problem is that there is a core
of functionality that all languages can use, along with the need for
application language localized to users - the more the merrier.

English has become the lingua franca of the Web, whatever the cause
and whatever the effect.

If LibO ships in one language with optional language packs, then what
language do you suggest?

If LibO ships in all possible languages, then what do you suggest for
people on a 56kbps connection?

LibreOffice is an international project - not an English one that
happens to be translated.

/Leif Lodahl
Representing 500.000 users who are *not* native English

perhaps representing far fewer than that. You are probably not
representing people who have no problem getting a fine program in
whatever language along with a language packs in their own language.

It's gonna be a challenge getting liftoff with the basic LibreOffice
capability. Why take on changing a fundamental aspect of the Web in
addition? IMO, this attitude will result in no LibreOffice and English
still "spoken" on the Web.

Carl