In data giovedì 25 novembre 2010 00:56:37, Robert Derman ha scritto:

            ..........snip.........

Whether it's user friendly or not depends on the user. If he/she/it is
open to learning a *few* new things, it is extremely user friendly.
There is, however, a segment of the population that actively resists
learning *anything*.

That's why: the more user-friendly, the more Libò will spread
throughout the
world...

I have a problem when it comes to rewarding people that refuse to make
an effort to learn. Notice, I said "refuse", not "incapable of"

The same question is always asked in educational circles. We never
know under which circumstances the user is here, nor do we know of the
level of comprehension, reading abilities, cultural differences,
linguistic abilities, whether they are here by clicking on the wrong
link etc. There could be many reasons why users may be incapable of
learning steps. There are just too many variables.

The best and most practical way is to help them out. The bottom line
is that we would like every type of individuals to use our office
suite and to be happy with it. I have yet to be on one "help" list or
help forum where this question has not been asked and the best
approach has always been to be courteous and help out. It always leave
the user grateful and satisfied.

Let's not assume that they can't/refuse"won't make an effort to learn
and just help them out. After all, they are here for help.

If there are too many of these individuals on our help lists, then I
would say that our help list has internal problems that need to be
addressed. This would be more of our problem than theirs.

Cheers

Marc

I haven't followed this particular thread very closely, but nevertheless
one thing seems to be appearant, and that is why Linux only has a few
percent of the PC OS market and Windows has the vast majority of it.
Most people who use computers are not computer experts, or computer
hobyists, and don't want to be, for them a computer is a tool they need
to use in order to acomplish what they need to.  Learning how to do
command line entry is not something they want to do.  Perhaps they
actually have a life, a spouse, kids other things they want to spend
their time on.  They want programs that install by clicking on Install,
Next, Next, Next, Finish.  As long as Linux doesn't work that way, they
will stay away from it.

This is exactly what I meant before... :-)

--
Valter
Registered Linux User #466410  http://counter.li.org