On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 09:21:08AM +0000, Sveinn í Felli wrote:
It's quite surreal to see some power users/developers not seeing or
refusing to see that the whole concept of the software in question
IS a big metaphor: Office.

Wrong, I do see it.

And its users are using GUIs and other metaphors for handling the
software; for even the most capable of them the CLI is at best
scary.

Correct, they are *users* _of the office_. For that I agree, they don't
need to worry. For people *installing* the office and thus effectively
*asministering* their system it *does* matter.

And the sysadmins I've been working with are normally too overloaded
to remember upgrading manually the LibO/OOo packages on their
systems (my language is not yet in the official distribution
channels). They want their software to come through official and
reliable repositories.
So it took about 30 minutes of searching and fiddling to create a
Packages.gz file and publishing the packages as our localised .deb
repository. Think it's similar for other flavors like yum .rpm.
Still I'd like a primary metapackage so we could install/deinstall
ONE package instead of the whole bunch.

You can trivially create one if you have the above in a Packages.gz
anyways.

Anyway, I presume LibO will not be distributed this way in the
future, 'dpkg -i *.deb' or 'rpm -ivh *.rpm' will be reserved for
testing/development/adventurous people.
Linux users will get their LibreOffice through their package
managers, probably via distribution specific repositories. I think I

Exactly.

Grüße/Regards,

René