Robert,

OK, I'll disagree with you.  But only to a degree.  I've worked the
equivalent of an unpaid help desk on IRC (Ubuntu-Arizona LoCo).  We
worked with people that not only weren't necessarily running Ubuntu, but
many times were so far out of the area that their time zone was in
Siberia, etc.  We worked up a series of questions (my son, who had
worked for help desks, and has graduated to being a tech in the NOC
helped us with them) that would guide the person on the other end
through the process.

In effect, we became teachers, because we preceded it with "now, write
these questions down, because they will be important with the next
question you have."  Teachers are not the same as servants.  Teachers
expect a certain level of retention and competence of what has already
been taught, but don't presume that an individual is at a particular
level of such until they talk to them.

As a result, Arizona LoCo became famous for helping people (as much as
we could) with problems with RedHat/Fedora, Windows, and even Mac in
addition to our normal Ubuntu help.  It's really a matter of attitude
and patience (and believe me, some of the people we helped could really
try one's patience).  Our help included teaching people where the forums
were and how to use them, how to run a search on Google (or the search
engine of their choice), as well as how to ask questions.  Many of those
people went on to help others (to the best of their ability) before
referring the others to us.

The system works, but, it DOES require patience and a good attitude to
develop and manage.  As you can see, by comparing what you wrote with
what's above, this does help the questioning individual to develop
better skills in asking questions as well as providing him with the
tools to provide answers himself/herself.

Craig
Tyche