Il 03/11/2010 16.00, Roberto Resoli ha scritto:
        If the rational conclusion of these arguments is that the Linux Kernel,
>  Mozilla, SAMBA, GNOME, KDE, and by extension -all- Linux distributions
>  are fundamentally unsafe to ship - then we have a huge and un-fixable
>  problem; but one that is by far beyond the scope of LibreOffice to fix.
I agree; nevertheless, i think we should decide what kind of foundation TDF
would be, and if the foundation could effectively join the interests
all the subjects interested in
LibO (or other projects in the future). Dealing with patent claims is one of
things that i think TDF should take care of, without being necessarily
"doom mongering".

Well, from what I've read in this and other threads, I'm wondering if a "foundation" (association) is needed at all.

Many opinions, from TDF founders too, have been expressed in such a way that a central organization with a legal identity is just like killing a mosquito with a bazooka.

It would be enough a code repository and a technical committee composed by most important/best respected contributors.

The vendors may take the code from the repository and make their own distributions and may/may not contribute their modifications back.

If a official TDF distribution is desidered (because in such a system it isn't *needed*), the LibO trademark may be registered by a contributor.

A "political" committee and all the legal stuff, in that system, it's simply unnecessary and, IMO, highly misleading about who is doing what, and therefore to whom liabilities belong.

Again, this is the third time I wrote this sentence in this mailing list: there is a rather huge misunderstanding about the meaning of "Community" and "Foundation", and IMVHO, it's about time to clear this misunderstanding once for all.

Gianluca Turconi