On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 12:42 AM, Marc Paré <marc@marcpare.com> wrote:

But it is important to keep in mind the distributions' own release
policies.  Many distributions do not allow non-security-related
updates over the course of a single release cycle.  This allows them
to thoroughly test a given combination of software.  Having the
distribution release one set of packages and having the foundation
release another set may be confusing to users and will may prove to be
a major annoyance to distributions which work hard to provide a
coherent set of packages.

I am not saying that such packages should not be released, my point is
merely that we need to be mindful of the needs and limitations of the
distribution maintainers, and not make life any more difficult for
them than is absolutely necessary.  Just pushing out packages and
telling users to download them is not a good strategy, in fact it is a
really good way to turn distributions against you.  More thought, and
a lot of discussion with those maintaining the distributions, will be
needed in order to guarantee a mutually beneficial approach.  It may
not be possible to completely please every party, but unilaterally
bypassing the distributions entirely is not a good idea in my opinion.

-Todd

Yes, you are right. But in this case the service would be offered to them
and it would be up to the distros to either use it or not. Or the user of
that particular distro would then have the option of installing it if
wished.

And if they refuse, would you still release the packages anyway?

This is what the KDE group offer. I got my updates to KDE4.5.0 from the K
DE
site rather than wait for the Mandriva repos update, which of course are
on
hold now. I just set up my package manager to point to the KDE repos for
Mandriva.

This method seems to work well for the KDE group.

KDE does not offer binaries as a rule.  There are Mandriva binaries on
the KDE ftp server, but that is the only distribution that has
binaries on the KDE server.  Further, I do not think that those are
actually produced by KDE itself, KDE was simply nice enough to host
them.  In fact several people, myself included, have suggested to KDE
developers that they release official binaries and they refused,
saying that it was the responsibility of the distributions to produce
the binaries.

-Todd