Le 2010-10-08 15:07, Scott Furry a écrit :
As todd rme has suggested, there exists automated packaging tools. I had
not run across that in my readings. I don't use openSUSE, but good to know.

My original suggestions regarding a separate repository had been meant
to avoid 'package purgatory' where the distributions would relegate LibO
to, strictly for example, debian/unstable or debian/experimental. This
may preclude the average user from finding and installing LibO to their
computer.

Even if there are build services available, the suggestion of packaging
LibO , even if it was temporary, was to enable LibO availability for the
average user. I'm under the assumption that distributions won't pick up
LibO just because of what it once was. Sure, other distributions will
apply their own stuff to the packaging (Ubuntu being the prime example)
but can we put LibO *now* into the hands of the average user?

The idea of a distinct and stand-alone updater was to allow for the
different use cases with variable distribution/OS platforms, end use
environment (single user vs group vs enterprise). The idea is not to
build something from scratch, but to pull out the existing updater and
make a standalone program. As a standalone program, it can be
tweaked/altered/improved without affecting the revision of the main
program as a whole.

Regards,
Scott Furry

Yes, this is what I understood from what you meant. Now, to me this makes sense. But is this possible, as you used as an example, the opendesktop.org system?

Marc