IMO, the discussion on packaging seems strange considering that quite a few open source sites I visited in the last couple of days most have some form of downloads available for the different distribution: PostgreSQL and Go-OO being just a couple of examples.

And as suggested by the Go-OO site, the rationale for distribution was to avoid some of the politics and interpretations of open source that can occur. Packaging to me just makes sense.

If other distributions want to repack, fine - that's their prerogative. To me it isn't a waste of resources. They just want certain changes that LibO doesn't have (and why they didn't push those changes back to us to incorporate is an entirely different discussion).

Moving on from the discussions dwelling on specific topics of Unix/Linux distributions...

From what I have seen on this topic so far:
- Mac users (three? ) have commented that they do not have an issue with the current installer. - In the initial thread, many Windows Users indicated that an update mechanism would be great.
- Some commented the current Windows installer leaves artifacts behind
- Windows Installer does not detect/remove previous installations
- Lots (vast) amounts of discussion on packaging in Linux
- some have question if distributing packages is a good thing

What would be nice to see discussion on from the *community*:
- How do you expect LibO to be updated?
- What are your use cases of Install/Update
- Other programs have separate updating programs (iTunes being an example), if it was technically feasible, would having this feature be useful to you? - Would having a download site/accessible package repository be of value to you?

Regards,
Scott Furry