On 2010-10-03 5:10 PM, Charles-H. Schulz wrote:
Let me clear so that we can move on: Unless Oracle gives us the
trademark of OpenOffice.org, we're using LibreOffice, and some people
love it, some people hate it, but as a matter of fact, we're not
changing it anymore, so it's useless to request a change.
It would be impossible to please everyone. I like it personally, but
understand the arguments of those that don't - that said, it is not
something that can just be changed at the drop of a hat, so, LibreOffice
it is... :)

Not to belabor this point...
But there is also the issue of news reports. I've read at least a half-dozen stories about the "forking of Oracle" on online news sites.

The list of articles include:
- Glyn Moody's blog
(OpenOffice.org Discovers the Joy of Forking
http://rss.feedsportal.com/c/432/f/530831/s/e2f1b2c/l/0Lblogs0Nputerworlduk0N0Copen0Eenterprise0C20A10A0C0A90Copenofficeorg0Ediscovers0Ethe0Ejoy0Eof0Eforking0Cindex0Bhtm/story01.htm )

- and the H-Online
( LibreOffice - A fresh page for OpenOffice
http://www.h-online.com/open/features/LibreOffice-A-fresh-page-for-OpenOffice-1097358.html )

There are other great write-ups.
My point? With the press LibO has received, how would it look if there was a name change? Would the DF recover from the PR nightmare if there were a sudden announcement of a name change to the flagship product?

Personally, I don't have a problem with the name.

I'm presuming there was a host of discussion before the announcement of the DF, of which I missed. Fair enough. The decision has been made. I can accept that. I can appreciate that others have different viewpoints about the current name and decisions reached. Maybe we can revisit this issue when LibO reaches a major development milestone?

And no, I do not recommend nor suggest naming LibO after Stephen Colbert ;-)
Any chance we can move on to other issues?

Regards,
Scott Furry