Hi James,

James Wilde wrote on 2011-10-27 09:11:
Can someone tell me what currently happens to the Reply-to field, what the options under discussion
are, and what will happen to the discuss list after the change?

if we don't do any reply-to-mangling at all, there are three scenarios:

a. User clicks on Reply. Reply goes to the poster, not to the list.
b. User clicks on Reply to all. Reply goes to the poster and the list.
c. User clicks on Reply to list. Reply goes to list, not to the poster.

Since many clients and also web mailers do not support all of these three, this often results in e-mails being sent only to the poster, missing the list, which is a mess.

Right now, we interfere with Reply-to in two ways:

1. We remove any existing reply-to set by the poster.
2. We add a reply-to list.
In a nutshell: Reply-to is always to the list.

My proposal would have been to always set a reply-to to the list, but in addition honour existing reply-tos by the poster. So, the list is always just added.

In that case, the behaviour depends on the client. In Thunderbird, the Reply-to-list button always posts to the list, IMHO, independent from the Reply-to header.

Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108