Am 25.01.2011 um 15:56 schrieb Friedrich Strohmaier:
SWITCHmirror Admins schrieb:

The same applies for mirror.switch.ch, we have enough space.
Keeping the archive separate from the current stuff is highly
appreciated.

For sites with less capacity, it might be preferred to keep the ISO
images in a separate subtree, easy to exclude.

That sounds reasonable and was what I thought about.
Having no clue how it works with mirrorbrain in detail, I'll proceed to
change that today. :o))

That's straightforward: Just put the new files somewhere into the tree, either in a separate
directory, or just anywhere. In any case, exclude the new "bulk" stuff in our existing rsync
modules as well as in the push rsync script.

Then, either create a new, separate rsync module which mirrors may be use to sync those files, if
they choose to do so. Or create "variants" of the existing rsync modules, so mirrors can choose
between tdf-stage and tdf-stage-plus (and tdf-pub and tdf-pub-plus), depending on whether they want
the additional content or not. Likewise, the push script should be adjusted regarding mirrors which
should receive the files.

This way, you control whether the files end up on mirrors, and give mirrors a choice.

That's basically all you need to do. And in the next step, it would make sense to assess on the
download server how often the big files are requested, and judge from there whether mirroring is
needed. Maybe no mirroring at all in the beginning; maybe one mirror in Germany and one in the US
will suffice initially; maybe more mirrors are needed, if the files become popular.

Hope this helps,
Peter