In order to succeed, a mass movement must develop at the earliest
moment a compact corporate organization and a capacity to integrate
all comers.

—Eric Hoffer, American philosopher

This discussion is interesting but it reminds me of people
re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic. Or, perhaps a better analogy
is where there are two battleships, one is 30x bigger and the other is
undermanned. In fact, there is only a skeleton crew so if there is a
problem in many areas of the ship, there is no one able to fix it.
Meanwhile, some of the crew are sitting on deck chairs discussing how
they'd like a better battleship, but they are at sea so it is not
possible now.

I believe the best way to ensure TDF's success is for you to find a
crew to fix all of these as fast as possible:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Easy_Hacks

Forks often take years to get going because they take years to get a
large enough of a team. That is a random list, but the sooner you can
fix those, the sooner you can fix other things including font
features. Fixing bugs is the way to be able to write features. People
can work anywhere they want, but that is the front door, and evidence
you need more. People with expertise already are valuable. It is good
is that you have people who are able to mentor others. Some forks
didn't even have that. You need to find enough people so you have
expertise over every line, which I don't think you have today.

I also hope there is a crew hacking ribbon-like UIs in Python, one
working on server and web features, etc. If you want to succeed in a
decade, and you are mostly going to be volunteers, you need many,
focused on things that improve the product today.

You can keep a positive attitude by remembering there is another
battleship that is 10x undermanned than you ;-) It says OpenOffice,
etc. on the side, but that is not the most important consideration.

Kind regards,

-Keith
http://keithcu.com/