Hi Pedro and Charles et al

Le 2011-06-26 17:21, plino a écrit :
Charles-H. Schulz wrote:
But let me ask it
again: why should it not be the right file format for LibreOffice?
Fonts embedding cannot be the only one feature that will help us break
the dominant vendor's monopoly, can it?

Because any document that allows the use of different fonts and relies on
them to be displayed as expected needs to have the ability to embed fonts.
No, ODF already has the most important feature: vendor independence. But if
the dominant vendor includes a feature and it is critical for some type of
documents, not including it is a handicap. And it can become a serious
barrier for wide adoption.

Regarding your demonstration Cases: Case A is a non-issue. If users decide
to ignore instructions and use it incorrectly is it the OASIS or TDFs fault?
Should microwave manufacturers not sell microwaves because someone in the
future might have the brilliant idea of drying their cat in it?

If the ODF were to embed fonts, then there would also be documentation re: use/abuse of embedded fonts which would be publicly available. LibreOffice should already be advocating fonts that do not have any licensing restrictions -- maybe we should consider adding a blurb on this on our website as an advocacy item regarding font usage. Having said all this, I also agree, if the user just ignores these recommendations and warnings, then I am sure that the OASIS group would not be held liable.

Case B: if in a given device fonts are not displayed properly (the software
should warn about that) then ODF is still doing it's most important job i.e.
making sure the contents are displayed in a readable way.

If the text editor cannot render the file correctly then the LibreOffice reader should be used. This is exactly a good example where a LibreOffice reader would be used.

Cheers

Marc

--
Marc Paré