----- Original Message ----

From: Florian Effenberger <floeff@documentfoundation.org>
Greg Stein wrote on 2011-06-14 17.09:
It is simply that  newbie's have NO UNDERSTANDING of this. Florian had
to explain all the  details because they are not on the website.

I guess the truth lies in  between. :-)

Indeed, we seem to lack some comprehensible page directly  reachable with all
the details. However, we have been regular announcing status  and facts via
e-mail, our blog, social networks, and the donations ("challenge")  page has
also some background on it.

My primary point is that to side-line the discussion (of which Greg was
responding to, and I assume you are too) the text at the bottom of each webpage
on the LO website which presently reads as follows:

Privacy Policy | Impressum (Legal Info) | Copyright information: Unless
otherwise specified, all text       and images on this website are licensed
under the Creative Commons       Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License. This does
not include the source code of LibreOffice, which is licensed under the GNU
Lesser General       Public License (LGPLv3).
"LibreOffice" and "The Document Foundation" are registered trademarks. Their
respective logos and icons are subject to       international copyright laws.
The use of these therefore is subject to our trademark policy.

should be updated to reflect the legal reality that while TDF is being setup it
is an sub-entity of FroDeV; listing out who specifically owns the trademarks,
etc. That would go a long way in saying TDF is or is backed by an actual legal
entity, and not something that is simply a project put together by a lot of
people without any legal standing. (The above was specifically taken from the
http://www.documentfoundation.org/faq/ webpage.)

Note: I am not saying anything about the actual legal standing of TDF in this
e-mail; just pointing out how that legal standing could be _better_ communicated
to by-standers and visitors of the TDF/LO websites - of which there are many
more than are known by the community, or participate in the community - e.g.
reporters that go on the website for some tidbit of information, or someone
looking to simply download LO for use.

$0.02

Ben