On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 8:49 AM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:

That is great news! Reading over the archives, I was surprised
how some people who wished to contribute to both LOo and OOo
were turned away (with a "we don't want your kind here"),
and so seeing how LOo would now be open to itself accepting
patches and code under AL is a welcome step forward!

The frustration is because of the cost of forks. Some people argue that
forks are okay because they've happened before, but that is like advocating
for murder because it has happened before.

This fork will waste lots of community resources and it already has. That
can cause people to get upset.

Here is my case study on the Ubuntu /  Debian fork:
http://keithcu.com/wordpress/?page_id=558

I have decided to make another case study for a future version of my book
now that the podling was accepted. These are my notes so far:
http://keithcu.com/wordpress/?p=2567

Anyway, I suspect that much of the expertise in the incubation project would
be blocked, and the codebases are similar now, so anyone who is frustrated
that they can't contribute unless they want to work on infrastructure could
come over here while they wait. This idea is a way to decrease the
inefficiency of the current situation and help improve relations so I hope
Apache consider it. I believe LibreOffice is not turning down contributors
currently.

Regards,

-Keith