----- Original Message ----
From: Simon Phipps <simon@webmink.com>
To: discuss@documentfoundation.org
Sent: Thu, June 9, 2011 5:56:38 PM
Subject: Re: [tdf-discuss] Re: [Libreoffice] Proposal to join Apache
OpenOffice

On 9 Jun 2011, at 19:47, Simon Brouwer wrote:

Anyway, I think it  is high time that TDF be made a foundation proper.
Suppose Oracle had considered  donating the OpenOffice.org trademarks and
copyrights to TDF. How could it be the recipient of such a  donation if it
didn't exist as a legal entity?

Really easily. Either the  current legal entity by which TDF will be
incorporated, Freies Office  Deutschland eV, could accept the donation, or the
US agent retained by them,  Software in the Public Interest (SPI) could accept
it on their behalf (as will  still be the case once TDF is incorporated - TDF
will not need a US subsidiary  in order to accept donations, because of SPI).

Time for this "does not  exist" meme to end, it is baseless and it is unhelpful
to perpetuate it after so  many people have explained that fact.

You know, usually when an organization (such as TDF) is legally owned by
another organization you list it at the bottom of the web-page where  you are
stating information about copyright, trademarks, etc - e.g. TDF  is a wholly
owned by FroDEV.
As it is, looking over TDF's website, the only place I can really find  any
information related to FroDEV is on through the link by "Impressum (Legal
Info)", not in the text next to it, not on the contact info, not on the link
describing the "Foundation".
To me, that says TDF at minimum trying to distance itself from FroDEV -  not
necessarily your intention, but that's how it comes across. It also  doesn't
give confidence that TDF is a legal entity or owned by a  signular legal entity
as you are stating.

Clearly marking the website, signatures, etc. for TDF would probably go a long
ways in helping to end that conversation.

$0.02

Ben