Hi Simon,

Simon Phipps wrote on 2011-05-04 13.35:
As we've been considering the revision of the governance over at OSI, it's been clear we need to offer a
"membership" option to the many people who associate themselves with Open Source without
complicating OSI's official governance by having huge numbers of people involved in it who may not be fully
engaged. As a consequence, we are considering having a membership category where people express their support
(maybe by making a donation) and gain some benefits (maybe an e-mail address or the right to describe
themselves as associated) but don't immediately become part of the governance of the Foundation.

Has the Steering Committee considered creating a similar scheme to permit association without
complicating the official governance?

indeed, that's something we are thinking of, but as Sophie said, the whole process itself is quite young, so are these thoughts.

We know from lots of private people as well as corporations (that per the current bylaws cannot become member as legal entity, but with individuals) that they would like to express their support, e.g. with a banner/logo on their website, e-mail forwarder and the like, showing that they are in support for TDF. Something in between "I like TDF" and "I am a (per statutes) member of TDF", an affiliation that is stronger than just expressing support, but less than having official and formal rights.

Such a programm that could be called "supporters" instead of "members", or maybe "fellows" or something like that, is good, as it shows broad support of our ideas and helps spreading the word.

I guess something like that doesn't need to be stated in the bylaws, but we should indeed work on this. Any feedback is welcome, of course ;)

Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108