Hi Jaime,

Jaime R. Garza wrote on 2011-05-04 11.16:
Yes, the truth is that I have only being part of the MAIL-LISTS and my
contributions for now have been nothing more that ideas, comments and
suggestions.

So, as Sophie said, that's difficult to quantify and qualify. If someone in
the Mail lists thinks I have contributed something that is non-trivial,
please let me know.

I'm totally un-involved in the membership application process, so I want to spread a few personal thoughts.

First of all, thanks for your application!

Especially during the discussion of the bylaws and statutes, it became clear to me that with our membership process we are to create something unique even in the world of (at least German) foundations. Our members get a lot of powers. This is exactly what reflects our community approach, but on the other hand, it means that we -- not just for ourselves, but also for the legal process -- need to justify these powers.

I must confess I didn't follow all your mails closely, so don't get me wrong on the following paragraphs, this is more an abstract thought rather than for your concrete application. :-)

If we were to accept the application of everyone posting a few messages to the list, then on the one hand we would have a large membership base, which is good. On the other hand, it might get problematic justifying that. So, what we are trying to approach with the membership process is that we want to actively engage community members, and then granting them rights like to vote or to being voted for. To me it is obvious that someone who "just" writes an e-mail now and then is not a member of TDF. Someone who does more, and wants to be involved, should be a member indeed. Doing more can indeed consist of writing e-mails, actively joining discussions, contributing... but it doesn't have to necessarily.

It will be pretty hard to always do the right thing, so we might grant some applications that maybe shouldn't, and reject others that we should accept instead. We're all humans and make mistakes sometimes. :-)

So, feel free to state what your contributions have been. I know the members of the membership committee very well, and they do a tremendous job. As many others, they have to read hundreds (!) of e-mails per day, next to their day job, family life and so on, so it is rather like that some contribution just slips through...

Again, I'm neither involved in the membership process itself, nor do I know concrete details for your application, but I wanted to share a few generic thoughts. :-)

Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108