On 2011/04/01 10:42 PM  Len Copley wrote:
Hi.
Correct English, is that spoken by the Queen of England,
In other words, you mean the English spoken by the Upper Class snobs, twits, poufs, and wankers who attended England's public boarding schools. Most citizens of Great Britain don't speak that language. Have you visited the pubs in Liverpool, or Cardiff, or Edinburgh, or Belfast? I bet they don't speak what you call "Correct English".

Every English speaking country speaks differently, with many different local variations.

all good English dictionaries, will have the correct spelling and meaning of true English words.
We are talking about spoken, not written language. What is your definition of "true English words"? What is your definition of a "good English dictionary"?

To me a "good English dictionary" is one that give the proper spelling and usage of English in the country I am living in.

American dictionaries will say English Dictionary, however, it will be in American English.
And a Canadian dictionary will be Canadian English. An Australian dictionary will be Australian English. A South African dictionary will be South African English. Etc. They all provide "Correct English" for their respective countries. So what is your point? Are you trying to impose one narrow viewpoint of is "Correct English" on the whole world. Perhaps you should go back to speaking the "Correct English" of Chaucer's time.

An example would be, License spelt with an S, is generic to all licenses in America.
In English License spelt with an S means authority to make, copy, sell Licensed equipment etc.
Licence with a C in English, English only means, permission to use a product like Microsoft Windows, or drive a car, plane, boat etc.
And what has this got to do with speaking English?

I use a Canadian English dictionary. Some of out spellings and usage agree with GB, some with the USA.

English has a set of rules that tells you how it should be used. As words come and go in English. The new words are all subject to ther rules of English, even though it is an Dynamic language. The building blocks of English are Root Latin Words.
Latin is only the root of some English words, a large percentage of them but a long way from all of them.

As for the rules of English, they change radically over time and are different in every English speaking country.