On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 4:02 AM, Charles Marcus
On 2011-01-02 12:13 PM, Zaphod Feeblejocks wrote:
I have a concern about the Addons.  In my 10+ years of using OpenOffice/StarOffice, the
inclusion of addons was a great idea.  However, the marketing of addons was not so good -
hidden away in a place that you can find once, but not so easily find again.

Could addons be clearly signposted on the main page?

Could first-time users be taken to the addons page, so they know functionality can be
extended?

Could addons be clearly posted in the menus?

Could the frequency of downloading addons be counted and a pack of the most popular
ones be compiled?  Could the most-frequent-addons pack even be an optional extra
included with the download?

There could even be the 'vanilla' install and the 'bumper-pack' install.

Last summer, as part of the MSO to OOo migration, I hacked a batch file to install OOo with
various settings and then various addons I had chosen (why was 'clipart' an addon, I
wonder?).  Simplifying this for downloaders wil help - I know several people who think OOo
is not very good, because it has no clipart.  Personally, I don't care about clipart but it's all
down to user perceptions!

+5, all great points, but I'd also like to add that there should be some
well defined pathway for an add-on to be nominated, considered and
eventually incorporated (if deemed worthy) or not (if not) into the core
code...

Charles and Lee,
I think I posted my other message in the wrong spot.
The website team is working hard on this exact problem.

The Drupal based site, which is planned to replace the current
libreoffice.org site within the first half of the year already has
(most) of this functionality.
We are also going to duplicate this functionality with templates also,
as they also represent high value 'addons' to our product which could
also be included in the final product.

Have a look at:
http://www.libreofficeaustralia.org/download/extensions
http://www.libreofficeaustralia.org/download/templates

If you have any suggestions about the system or the site overall, the
best place is probably the website mailing list.

Thanks,
Michael Wheatland