Hi Phil,

and thanks for asking :)

pls see comments below...

On 11/29/2010 07:11 AM, Phil Hibbs wrote:
Google Docs (and possibly other ODF implementations such as KOffice)
compatability is also an issue. Are there ongoing efforts to get
Google Docs to be more compatible with OOo/LibreOffice's
implementation of ODF?

I've been asking questions related to this for a while now w/o any
response, and didn't notice any responses to your post either!

I've asked, on two LO lists now, how the progress on the Google DocVerse
Plugin is coming along, yet they were met w/silence.

It may be that we have to wait for Google to finish and implement this
on their own since there doesn't appear to be any impetus, interest, or
the slightest amount of support from the LO staff, let alone interest by
the community - judging by the silence pertaining to both your post and
mine.

Many people have been asking for this at the Docverse support site as
well as the OOo site for several months, and the only mention of
interest or support came from the Google DocVerse folks - NOT the ODF camp!

This is how it works now when I want to use it (and a lot of people use
it so they're just as inconvenienced when they zealously adhere to a
policy of ODF/OOo/LO:

I save from either OOo or LO to a native .ODT and then again as a .DOC
file, then I open the .DOC file in any version of MS Office >= 2003.

This is a MAJOR hassle, because we have to make sure that there are a
few licensed copies of MS Office (As well as wYNdOZE) available for use
in the Enterprise, instead of NONE - which we would prefer, and we have
to boot it in a Virtual Machine!

Next, the Google Docverse Plugin enabled MS Word, for example, asks me
if I want to send up the file into the Google DocVerse cloud, and who
the editors and readers (by email addy) are.

Then it u/l's the doc(s) and notifies the editors/readers I've selected
for that document that there are changes to an existing doc being
collab'd or that there is a new doc for them to look at / edit.

If the people designated don't have the DocVerse plugin installed in
their copy of MS Office, then they d/l it and (without restarting) begin
to use the collab features of Google DocVerse.

If one of the editors makes comments/changes to the doc(s), then I'm
immediately notified by email this has occurred - so I know WHEN it
happens and workflow can be optimum wrt the pace of doc development.

Great tool....

But it would really be nice If I didn't have to fire up a virtual
machine running wYNdOZE just to run MS Office, pick up the .DOC version
of the file, and then u/l it to DocVerse!

The inverse is also kind of a pain too:

I have to take the finalized doc, save it from MS Office in my Virtual
Machine running wYNdOZE, then kill the VM, Open the .DOC in OOo/LO, and
save it once more as an ODT file, for example, and once all of this has
occurred I can circulate it amongst the rest of the folks in the enterprise.

Does anyone know what the status of the DocVerse plugin for LO is???????

Inquiring Minds want to know :)

For instance, in a Google Docs spreadsheet, any random number formulae
are re-randomized every time anything changes in the spreadsheet. In
OOo/LO, a value is only re-randomized when the cell itself is edited,
which I think is a great improvement.

Phil Hibbs.

- --
Bradley D. Thornton