Le 2010-11-30 13:44, Robert Derman a écrit :

Its difficult to really offer any meaningful suggestions until we get
beyond the beta stage but once we do, we should really do a better job
than OOo ever did of making LO available on disk for all those people
with only dial-up or no internet connection at all. I understand that
right now due to a lack of server space the current download package is
FAR too large. That problem will of course have to be solved. Once there
is enough server space, we should offer a choice of download packages,
as I have mentioned in previous emails.

I know that virtually all computers made in the last few years have had
DVD as opposed to CD optical drives installed. Actually I think it is
5-6 years now. What I am getting at with this is that the LO disk could
be a DVD disk rather than a CD disk. Or at least it could be available
on both kinds of disk. Anyway, the cost of DVD blanks is not
significantly more than CD blanks, and a DVD would offer more than
enough space for everything TDF has to offer.

The trend is to actually no longer offer a CD or DVD drive. The DVD drives are also slowly disappearing. I was a whitebox dealer for a while and my stock whiteboxes were not sold with DVD drives. These were sold as extras.

However, this does not in any way help our dial-up modem membership. Our communities should help out in creating disk in their localities to help this group.

Marc