Carl Symons wrote:

Italo, I work on several open source projects. Almost everyone else
involved is a developer (I'm more in your camp, although the dpkg -i
x86_64 .deb issue is well within my ability). In every case, there is
shared emphasis on users. What benefits the users? There's a whole lot
to that of course. But in no case is there the attitude that people
need to learn some level of the OS before they are considered worthy
of the product. Thank you for your work in making the Document
Foundation happen. I believe that you are on the right side of this
issue.

Thanks.

I can, of course, try to use the Terminal to install a software, and I have done it in the past when Ubuntu Tweak was not there.

I have a netbook with the infamous Poulsbo graphic card, and I have to run a script to make it usable (and I have to use the damned Terminal). But I do not like it, and it makes me nervous as I do not understand what is happening.

The fact that I am technically illiterate (and I like being so) does not make me a worse user, or one with less rights. Communities around the world have made OOo a better product because they have cared about users, although the project was clearly driven by developers not able to show any respect for users (and where the community was not there the project has been marginally successful).

TDF should not reproduce the same mistakes. The success of the project cannot be built on a group prevailing on others.

--
Italo Vignoli
italo.vignoli@gmail.com