Hi Andrea,

( just to mention: I did not make my mind on this yet, I'm just
providing some thoughts)

Von: Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@openoffice.org>
An: discuss@documentfoundation.org

The paperwork was only a practical detail: not relinquising your
copyright is the most important.

I haven't seen any new contributor write that they joined because of
(the refusal of) a copyright agreement; while I have seen several new
contributors write that they started contributing because the "Easy
Hacks" were so easy that they didn't require any previous technical
knowledge.

If we want an answer on this (would developers not have joined if there
was a CA) we would need to ask them. This should indeed be asked
at the dev-list. I'd bet, that at least some of them would state
that they not would have joined.

Do you need an example? Think of a "happy ending" where, to the benefit
of users, OOo and all derivatives merge in a common project. There are
many stakeholders (Oracle, IBM, Novell, Red Hat, Redflag, the Document
Foundation...) and they might agree on a new, free, license with some
special provisions due to the long history of OOo. Now, without
copyright assignments/agreements every stakeholder would be able to join
the unified project except the Document Foundation. By choosing against
copyright assignments/agreements you are killing this dream... And I
can't see how the Document Foundation could realistically say it is open
to discuss with companies in this setting.

Ok, got your point. But I (personally) see that this is very unlikely to
happen. I might be wrong, but everything I heard from the OOo main
sponsor so far indicated that they will never ever debate the CA /
licensing issue on a common ground.

Anyway - it all depends on the question if developers would sign the CA.
And we can only ask developers on this.

André